Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Talking to the baby

Yesterday, after Erika when to pick me up under the international bridge we talking about the baby. She pointed out that she talks whenever she can to our unborn baby. Sometimes she explains things, or sometimes just talk. Erika asked me why I don't talk to our baby as much as she does. Typical questions coming from her. I answered her that I do talk to him or her sometimes. And she said it was not enough. I laughed and said, "You talk all day to the baby because you carry him or her in your belly".

But still, I know I should talk more to my unborn baby. Could he or she hear me? Or does he or she feels our vibrations? I was thinking that while gently rubbing her belly. It is still somewhat small, but I think is growing. I can not stop imagining the size of my baby, probably smaller than my hand.

We were also talking about where to have our baby. I first wanted to have him or her delivered in the US side. But then I second-guessed. Not for the price, because I would do anything for my baby. I even had already layed out my plan to ask the money loaned to the bank. But I thought thoughly about the consequences of someone being an American. The good things are not only access to the United States, but also the benefits you get. The bad things would be, specially in this world of terrorism, the danger of being an American abroad. Many of us know about how terrorists pin-point American tourists in Egypt or other anti-American nations. I don't wish that to my baby. Now imagine this... today the world is getting smaller. Forget the Internet, tourists and bussinesspeople are just about everywhere in the world. Can you picture how the future would be. I don't know about flying cars or teletransportation, but what I am certain of is that the world will be even smaller. My unborn baby will live in such a small but dangerous world, that being an American adds only more danger to it.

I know my baby will be like me, and will dream of traveling, meeting new people, discovering other cultures and places, that he or she will some day in the future want to travel around the world. I know this, it's in our genes. Or let's say because of his job, he or she will be working in another country. I don't want that my son to have any troubles when traveling or living in other countries because of his nationality. Sadly, this world is like that even today. What should I do? Time is running, and before I know it, I will have to make a life decision.

No comments: